In today's stressful world, many of us can have problems sleeping and the less we sleep, the more stressed we get. So, we thought today we'd give you all some handy hints on how to beat those irritating bouts of insomnia!
- Try having a cup of camomile tea before bed; camomile is known for it's relaxing properties.
- Put lavender oil on your pillow or rub some on your pulse points.
- Don't drink any caffeine drinks (tea, coffee, cola etc) before bedtime. In fact, it's best to cut them out entirely while you're suffering from insomnia.
- Gentle exercise during the day can help relax you enough to aid your sleep. Swimming, jogging or aerobics are all good.
- Take up some form of yoga and meditation. This can help clear your mind of negative thoughts.
- You can always try natural sleeping pills like Kalms or something similar for short-term relief.
- Eat lettuce in the evening! Yes, I know this sounds odd but lettuce contains an opium-related substance combined with traces of the anticramping agent hyoscyarnin thus being a really good sleep aid.
- Hot milk - this is another old remedy that really works for a lot of people.
- Avoid alcohol - a few too many glasses of wine may knock you out, but your sleep pattern will be disrupted and you'll end up feeling worse than ever!
- Try not to have too much electronic equipment in your bedroom - it's not a good idea to watch television in bed or spend time on your laptop when you should be clearing your mind and beginning to relax.
- Have a relaxing bath before you go to bed.
- Have a regular massage, particularly in the evening before bedtime.
- Routine - if possible, try and go to bed at roughly the same time every night.
- If you still can't sleep, try not to stress about it. Just get up and walk around the house, perhaps try and read a book then just go back to bed and try again.
If you have any easy tips for insomnia please get in touch with us here, on Twitter or on our Facebook Page. Sleep well!!!